Monday 18 January 2016

How I Began Writing



I didn’t read my first book until I was 10 years old. Somehow, I was able to hide my lack of reading from my teachers. However, in grade 5, I ran into Mrs. Markham who insisted I read Mrs Pickerell Goes to the Moon. I loved it.

From that point onwards, I became a voracious reader and read any book I could get my hands on. An underlying dream was to create one of my own. I wanted to bring people to my words as the authors I was reading.

As a young child, I wrote poems about dragons. I did that for a few years, then tried my hand at short stories. I wrote a few over the years but found them difficult. Never tried to publish any. Didn’t think they were good enough.

One morning, years later after I had returned to Hamilton from overseas, I woke up with a full dream in my head. I sat down at the computer and wrote. I worked 12 hours a day for 4 months until Locker Rooms was completed. I had written my first novel and I felt a great thrill.

Then it was edited. Since it needed so much work, I put it in a drawer. I was disappointed that I hadn’t written a best seller. I forgot about writing for a few years. Then, took it out and dusted it off. I made the editor’s corrections and wrote publishers.

While receiving rejections, I began another novel. I kept at writing for a few years always hoping for a publishing deal. Then I learned about self-publishing.

My five novels have now been self-published. I accept writing like a job and write every day from 9-10 a.m. until 4 p.m. I’m so happy when the words flow. I love writing and will continue as long as possible.

have fun,
Patty
www.pattylesser.com
@PattyLesser

No comments:

Post a Comment