Monday 9 November 2015

Who's Your Editor?

I always find it difficult to find topics to write in blogs. I want to find something interesting and positive. I hope you're interested in my subjects and find a reason to continue reading my blog and then hopefully buy my books. If you'd like me to write about something, please let me know.

I often like to write about people in my life who have influenced me. Here's another.

Andi was recommended to me through another editor. I thought I could write a book then publish it. I knew I needed an editor but just for proofreading. He suggested I hire a developmental editor to help with the novel. I was sceptical but followed up and got in contact with Andi. I sent her a few chapters of A Discerning Heart and loved her suggestions. I felt she was spot on and when I corrected the novel, it definitely improved.

With a virtual handshake, Andi became my primary editor. I send her a chapter at a time. She reads through it and makes comments and suggestions. I make the corrections and return it to her for review along with the next chapter. We proceed this way all through the whole finished novel.

When I first receive back my edited chapters, I read through what Andi has written. I fret and fume over the changes. Then I start at page one and along with my novel make the corrections. Andi's words make me think and write better. I love the edits I've made and am prouder of the finished product.

Since A Discerning Heart, Andi and I have worked through That Truthful Place as well as my next and upcoming novel The Perfect Hand (about 5 poker buddies who uncover a conspiracy) which will be published in a month or two.

Through Andi's edits, I've learned so much about writing. She has helped me with Point of View which can be difficult at times. Sometimes I repeat myself or not describe the scene well enough. She reminds me to add action or a pause in the dialogue.

Not only does she help me improve, she is very inspiring. Once in a while, we chat over Skype. She is always positive and enthusiastic. After we hang up, I'm always encouraged to write and work on my books. She has often sent inspiring emails that seem to come at the most needed time.

I would never publish another novel without going through Andi. She is very special and I feel lucky and honoured to work with her. If you're looking for an editor, please check out her site: www.andilit.com.

have fun,
Patty
www.pattylesser.com
@PattyLesser


No comments:

Post a Comment