Saturday 8 November 2014

Remembering the Day



Tuesday, November 11th, 2014 is Remembrance Day. The day we remember every fallen soldier and honour the ones still guarding our country.

After the useless murders of Nathan Cirillo and Patrice Vincent, the people of Ontario are coming forward in great numbers to support our armed forces. The sale of poppies has exploded. No one wants to be seen without wearing a poppy.

The Ontario government will probably make November 11th a holiday which is great. Of course, it really doesn't make any difference for me, but I think everyone should have the day off and hopefully attend a Remembrance Day celebration. That day should be honoured.

I am not a fan of war. I will watch a war movie once, but never again no matter how good. I listen to the news twice a day (CHCH at noon and CTV at 6:00). I like to keep informed about worldly events. I don't enjoy hearing about some of the atrocities being committed in many countries. I wish I could do something but I know I can't. I must just put my trust in the world's armed forces and hope none will be killed for their efforts.

In 1982, I was in Israel during the war between Lebanon and Israel. I was living on a kibbutz about a thirty minute drive to the border with Lebanon. We were ordered to clean out the bomb shelters. The children came home from school and every man from the age of 18 to 55 was gone. The women stationed themselves by the one telephone in the common area to hear any news about their men.

War is hell. I never want to experience that again. The only benefit is that I understand better the situations occurring all over the world and especially in the Middle East.

Kevin Peter of Moterwriter has written a Revew of Locker Rooms. He has also published an Interview questioning me about my novel and life as an author. I hope you will enjoy it. Please pass on any comments.

have fun,
patty
www.pattylesser.com
@PattyLesser




No comments:

Post a Comment