Sunday 14 September 2014

A Toronto Signing

Yesterday, I attended a signing at the Indigo bookstore in the Eaton's Centre, Toronto. This was my first signing after the summer when I didn't hold any signings. The good weather and the fact that probably people preferred remaining outside and had no interest in going indoors to a bookstore.

Some trepidation existed during the last few days before the signing. I worried about the drive there which can be treacherous and exhausting. Toronto is 61 km or 38 miles from Hamilton. On a perfect day, it could take about 50 minutes to get there. However, there is lots of construction, trucks, and slowdowns due to the high volume of traffic.

So, travelling to Toronto these days is something that is rarely done. We have everything we need here so going to Toronto is no longer necessary. Toronto holds some interest for baseball, art galleries, museums and events, however, I have not driven to Toronto much in the last year. I have lived in Toronto three times in the past, but it is not a place I'd choose to live now.

Miriam (my next door neighbour and best friend) drove me to the signing in Toronto. She has driven me to every signing which counts as nine now. It started because I had a signing in Mississauga and I didn't want to drive on the highway so asked her if she wouldn't mind driving me. It has become a tradition now that she drives me to these signings. It is really so fantastic. Not only am I scared to drive on the highway, I'm also exhausted after a day selling myself so driving home on the highway would be terribly difficult for me.

Luckily, Miriam likes to drive and she is a very good driver. I feel safe with her. However, she isn't good with directions and needs someone to tell her learn where to go. I'm great with maps and directions so we work well together. We have a great relationship. It's been a long time since I've had a friend I can count on. And to have someone to whom I can say all those things you have to say but can't say to just anyone. I am very lucky to have her as a friend.

Any way, the traffic was heavy and it was pouring rain when we left Hamilton yesterday to drive to Toronto. There were a number of slowdowns as well as a big one in Toronto because of construction. It took us an hour and a half to complete the drive. When we arrived in Toronto, Miriam left me off on the street in front of the Eaton's Centre. It was busy with cars and people causing a hectic atmosphere.

The Indigo was a busy store. Lots of people rushing about. As usual, I smiled a lot and stared at people hoping they would look my way so I could try and interest them in my books. I sold no copies of Shall We Chat? I'm learning that chatting online is not as popular as I thought.

I only sold five copies of Locker Rooms which equals about $50. I paid Miriam $50 for gas and parking so obviously no profit. I also spent $50 on getting my hair cut and styled for the event. I doubt I'll be doing any further signings in Toronto.

I hope everyone reading this would buy a copy of my novel. I guarantee you its a good read and that you will enjoy it. Check out my Reviews.

Next Saturday, September 20th, I have a signing at the Chapter's store, Meadowlands, Ancaster. I have another one in Erin Mills Power Centre on Saturday, October 4th.

have fun,
patty
www.pattylesser.com
@PattyLesser


No comments:

Post a Comment