Wednesday 27 August 2014

Touched by Cancer

As they say, "Everyone knows someone who has been touched by cancer." Well, I've been very lucky. No one in my family has ever been inflicted with cancer. As far as friends go in my past, they were all free of cancer.

And then, my friend Yoko developed breast cancer. Last year she had her lymph nodes removed and we were hoping that she was cured.

However, last month, Yoko went for her yearly mammogram and the cancer had returned. A mastectomy was scheduled.

I have never been more worried than I have been for Yoko. She is a truly amazing person. Everyone who meets her wants to be her friend. She is sweet, highly intelligent, very kind, animal lover, etc etc. I could write a novel just on her qualities.

After her father died, her mother moved in with her. Now, her mother is a pill and not easy to live with. Yoko is so wonderful with her and is giving her the best possible life. However, if something happened to Yoko, her mother would have many difficulties trying to adjust to a different lifestyle. Because she's Japanese and basically only speaks Japanese and eats Japanese, she is not easy to place in a retirement home.

In addition, Yoko owns an absolutely beautiful, big, blonde yellow Lab. Lucy is a wonderful dog. She is very smart but she gets into everything. A very active dog, I worried what Yoko would do with her if something happened. Luckily she mentioned that a good neighbour had agreed to take her. I'm so happy. Lucy is a bit of a devil and difficult to control at times. Not an easy dog to place.

When Yoko told me the breast cancer had returned, I was so upset. This became my first contact with cancer. And I didn't like it. She is such a good person and would leave a big hole in many people's lives if something happened.

Well, the operation was a complete success and Yoko recovered quickly. She never felt much if any pain and she was out and about after a few days. She recuperated so fast. I am so happy for her. It is so fantastic that all is well and hopefully she will live a long life. She is so needed.

Have you ever heard the saying, "random acts of kindness"? You hear it on the news sometimes. Someone pays for your meal or your order at a drive through. It happened to my friend's husband. He had ordered a coffee from Tim's. When he reached the cashier, he was told that the guy in the car ahead of him had paid for it.

Isn't that a wonderful thing to do? I so love the concept. Hope everyone considers doing this at some point.

have fun,
patty
www.pattylesser.com
@PattyLesser


No comments:

Post a Comment