Saturday 17 May 2014

Bookstore Signings

I've really noticed a great difference between bookstores who host signings for my books. They have all been Chapters-Indigo stores in the area. I have completed five book signings to date (Ancaster, Oakville, Mississauga, Burlington and Erin Mills) and I am coming to a few conclusions. Just because the store is busy, doesn't guarantee sales. Sometimes having a slower store offers better opportunities to chat with people which is always advantageous especially if they have connections allowing further sales.

Achieving the opportunity to attend a signing at a bookstore is really quite easy. All I did was contact the store and find out who handles the signing events and consignment orders. After quickly speaking with that person, I receive their email in which I send them a short description of Locker Rooms along with a media release and photo of the novel.

After a short period of time, I receive an email in return with choice dates for the signing. I approve a date and then send them the information required for a consignment order. Some stores take books on consignment after the signing but not all stores. One store took 20 copies on consignment two weeks before the date of the signing which she will place in a special bookcase reserved for local authors. So my books will be on display for two weeks.

Except for one store, all the staff have been fantastic. They were polite, friendly, smiling, lovely people. All were very helpful and ready for me when I arrived. One store was not prepared at all for my signing which left a bad taste in my mouth. At that store too, the staff were almost rude. I did not enjoy my time there and so I will never return to that store.

I have four more signings scheduled. Please check my Appearances tab at my website for dates and locations which are Chapters Burlington, May 31; Stoney Creek, June 22, Toronto Bay and Bloor, July 5, and Toronto Eaton's Centre, September 13.

I hope you will join me at one of those signings.

Check out the photo below which was taken at my signing today in Erin Mills.

have fun,
patty
www.pattylesser.com
@PattyLesser

No comments:

Post a Comment