Tuesday 28 January 2014

Soupfest

What a wonderful event I attended today. In Hamilton, Ontario, Living Rock (a charity assisting youth in trouble) hosted a Soupfest which offers an opportunity to taste different types of soup from various restaurants in the Hamilton area. The Convention Centre, where it was held, was packed. You couldn't find a parking spot. (Luckily we passed someone leaving so grabbed their spot. We were lucky.)

Twenty-five restaurants participated from a variety of backgrounds. A Greek soup was featured at one stand, another was Jamaican and they offered Jerk Chicken soup. One booth boosted two trophies and gave out a delicious lobster soup. There were Vietnamese and Thai soups which were equally delicious. I can't describe every soup but they were all wonderful especially on such a cold day which we suffered today.

The enormous room in the Convention Centre offered little room for movement. It was impossible to  manoeuver yourself quickly through the crowd but, at least, everyone was generous knowing that you and they were holding little bowls of soup which we wouldn't want to drop or spill. It is so wonderful to see such an outpouring of support from the community for such an affair.

The event only cost $12.00 for which you received four tickets for soups. My mother and I shared a few so we were able to taste a great variety. One kind man offered me two extra free tickets and so my mother and I were able to try ten different soups. It was a terrific treat.

I can't believe Groundhog Day is already upon us. I'm a little superstitious so looking forward to the groundhog's report. I love the excitement it causes and, of course, love the movie Groundhog Day with Bill Murray and Andie McDowell.

Hope you are enjoying the cold!

have fun,
patty
www.pattylesser.com
@PattyLesser


No comments:

Post a Comment