Monday 15 July 2013

We are lucky

Do you appreciate where you live? After watching trains exploding, floods and fires on the news, I look around my home and consider myself very lucky to live where I live. Unlike Brazil, Canada's healthcare is excellent. We are also very lucky to be able to attend appointments with whichever healthcare professional we require with no problems and without having to pay for it.

Also shown on the news was a water splash pad where water is cool and easily available to play with and run through. Children seem to love these small water parks, but look at all the water wasted. Can you imagine someone from Africa or India coming to Canada and able to play in one of those splash pads? I think they would be in shock with the abundance of water. Aren't we lucky?

Many people in Toronto recently were flooded out. Their houses were filled with water coming out of their sinks, toilets, showers, etc. This amount of sewage ruined numerous numbers of homes. We were shown pictures on the news revealing mountains of furniture, books, carpets, and anything else people kept in their basements.

Could you imagine suddenly losing everything through a flood or fire? Traumatic eh? I'm terrified of fire so I have a very good plan about how to get out of my house in case of fire. I know Kira, my dog, will come to me immediately in case of danger, but my cat rarely answers to her name or comes when I call her. I dread the thought but I'd probably lose her in a fire. She could hide somewhere in the house and I'd only be putting myself in danger to try and find her to get her out of the house.

I do consider myself very lucky and privileged to live where I do in Ontario. All we can complain about is the humidity or the cold but then our homes are heated or kept cool by an air conditioner. We really have no reason to complain but, then again, people always need something to complain about. But why? We are so lucky compared to so many. I think we should count our blessings before we make a complaint.

have fun,
patty
www.pattylesser.com

No comments:

Post a Comment